Welcome to Dane Dane's Kitchen! I'm Dana, known affectionately by some as Dane Dane. After living numerous places around the world, I have experienced all kinds of cuisine and often integrate it into my family's daily meals. I generally don't use many recipes but cook from sight, feel, taste and texture. It's always frustrating when people ask for a recipe and I can't really give them the exacts. So, I've tried to work some of our favorites into something to share. If you see something that interests you, join in, put your own spin on it, have fun and enjoy food!

Pumpkin/Pork Chili with Pumpkin Sour Cream

When my monthy subscription of Food Network Magazine arrives, everyone knows Mom's going to be busy reading and dreaming for awhile. My kids joke and say when friends ask them what their mom does, they reply "she likes looking at food." Thanks guys!

When I read the ingredients for this chili in last months publication, I knew it was going to be a family favorite! I was totally wowed by it, adding my own touches here and there. The original calls for poblano and chipotle peppers which are not available where I live, so I made some adaptions. I also added the ingredients sugar, cumin, and cinnamon and used spinach from my garden instead of kale. For those without access to canned pumpkin, I imagine butternut squash might work, but probably not have the wonderful flavor pumpkin does.

(adapted from Mory Thomas, Food Network Magazine)

2 pounds lean pork cut into med. chunks
1 can lager/non alcoholic if you like
Salt to taste ( I used citrus salt)
1 very large red bell pepper cut into large chunks
3 teaspoons dried oregano
1 15oz can of pure pumpkin (1 ¾ cup)
½ cup sour cream
1 can diced mexican tomatoes
1 green bell pepper cut into large chunks
2 medium white onions cut into chunks
1/8 cup chili powder
4 tsp. diced garlic
1 bunch of fresh spinach cut into pieces
3 TBS sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. Cumin

1. Combine the pork, three cups of water, salt and lager in a large pot. Bring to a simmer, then skim off any foam. Add the peppers and oregano then cover and cook about 30min.
2. Mix 3TBS pumpkin into 1/2cup sour cream, then salt to taste. Chill it in the fridge.
3. Add the onions, tomatoes, garlic, chili powder and other spices to the pork mixture, then stir in the remainder of the pumpkin.
4. Cook for an additonal 20min adding the spinach in the last five minutes.
5. Serve with crackers and top with the pumpkin sour cream. Wow! It's nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment